Sunday, December 10, 2006

spinning again



Yes indeed. After a longish hiatus I drug the wheel back out and started on some new thrums from Spinderella. This is called Blue Bayou and has a little bit of everything in it fiber-wise, but is pretty bland colorwise. I'm wondering if I should spin something else to ply with it. My only other experience with Spinderella's thrums was about 5 yrs ago and it was a purple base with lots and lots of colorful slubs in it. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing the hat I knit from that yarn. :) I dyed some white BL top with grape koolaid and spun another singles to ply with that first thrums. Guess I need to take a quick pix so you can see what I'm talking about.

If you look closely you can see all the bits of green, yellow, pink and blue imbedded in the purple base. I did a very simple hat - cast on 100 or so sts with a provisional cast on, then after about 6" of 2x2 rib, I turned up a hem and knit cast on sts with hat sts. After another few inches, I decreased every other st around (leaving a 1x1 rib) and knit another 2 inches before a round of K2tog. A plain round, another K2tog and then I drew up all the remaining sts with the tail of the yarn and pulled it up tight. The cap is not long enough to fold up, but the double thickness over my ears keeps me from getting ear aches in the winter.
I've got a pretty extensive stash, and I'm sure I have more thrums in there somewhere. Maybe a navy color, eh? And I have at least another 1/2 lb of the purple base in the hat. I'm out of the BL roving I dyed to work with it, tho, so I'll have to use something else. Columbia? Dorset? Finn? Clun Forest? No worries - I'm sure I can find something.

1 comment:

fiberfanatic said...

TAG YOU'RE IT

I'm afraid you have to read my blog to understand it!