Thursday, April 12, 2007

Scotch Thistle Stole KAL

A week or so ago I joined the Scotch Thistle Stole KAL on the www.knittingzone.com forums. This is a drop dead gorgeous pattern from HeartStrings (Jackie E-S) that I bought as soon as it came out. I'm using some of my own handspun (what else?) - a NZ Romney Ewe from the Southern Alps breeding. This wool is a pale pearl grey and so far it looks luscious. I'm thinking I might paint it in "thistle" colors after the stole is finished.



The stole is knit from each end towards the middle and then joined together. I decided to cast on both ends at once; that way they will match exactly even if I goof up the pattern repeats. I took these photos at work where the light is not very good (yellow fluorescents) and the counter top is very slick. I tried to stretch the knitting out, but it snapped right back. I'm sure it will look better after blocking. I think this yarn is pretty close to sport wt and I'm using the size 7 needles called for in the pattern. I'm just about ready for the 2nd pattern to pop in. This is very impressive looking lace, but also very easy. Jackie E-S offers very nice charts and very clear instructions in all her patterns.

5 comments:

Carissa said...

You're stole looks great! That is such a pretty color, one of my favorite shades of grey. I love all of Jackie's patterns.

Theresa said...

Sande, I just purchased this pattern from Margaret at Heritage Yarns. Unfortunately I have three shawls OTN right now so I can't really put one more on! LOL Otherwise I would join you in the KAL.

Sande Francis said...

This stole is so easy - the pattern repeats are easy to memorize and since there are columns of the same stitch climbing upwards it's easy to spot errors right away. I just love knitting with my handspun, so I'm enjoying this immensely. I just wish I had more time to knit.

Opal said...

I'm so tempted to buy that pattern. But look.. I have about 5 shawls waiting in the wings to be knit and I've got 2 on the needles. Honestly though, I adore Jackie's patterns.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sande, everytime I visit your blog I end up spending money! LOL I love your stole and just bought the pattern! Thanks for the link!